I haven't done theater in years but I still dig watching the Tony Awards. Makes me nostalgic for all of those musicals I did back in the day. And it's fun to see some old friends, acquaintances and former castmates still rocking it on Broadway. I don't follow theater anywhere near as much as I used to when I was performing. I literally went once a week back then. While I don't go that much, I still dig seeing what's out there and doing a brief annual catch up with the Tonys.
My thoughts on the show:
- GREAT to start with last year's Best Musical winner (and a show I actually saw and loved) Book of Mormon.
- Neil Patrick Harris hosting for the 3rd year in a row. And still funny and fresh as all get out. His musical medley was astounding!
- Bernadette Peters. Yep. Still got a crush on her.
- A lot of the nominated musicals were showcased but I felt quite underwhelmed even with some of the bigger shows like Newsies and Jesus Christ Superstar. JCS is one of my favorite shows and I did it back in the late '90's. But the guy playing Judas, while having a fantastic voice, lacked soul. Ghost...what just happened? Peter and the Starcatcher looks awesome though.
- Hey Jessica Chastain, I can see your jubblies.
- James Corden! I'm a huge Anglophile and fan of his from the hit BBC comedy Gavin & Stacey. And I just met him on Wednesday night when I was out with friends! I've been wanting to see One Man, Two Guvnors since it came over from the West End to Broadway. After seeing the bit he did on the Tonys, I DEFINITELY want to see it. Oh yeah, and HE WON Best Actor! Beating out legends James Earl Jones, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John Lithgow, and Frank Langella. He gave a great humble speech giving big shouts to his "baby mama".
- Porgy and Bess looks amazing. Kudos to Audra for winning. But sure do wish Norm Lewis won too. That man's voice is just pure silk. Met him years ago back during my acting days at a cast party and we became casual pals. Saw him do a few shows and goddamn can that man sing. Super talented. Gotta get to see that show soon!
- My production of Godspell where I played Jesus was sooooo much better. Just kidding! Best part was seeing Hugh Jackman dance with a cast member. Audiences (even full of performers) tend to get shy when casts perform along the aisles and play right to them, but Jackman joins in the fun every time!
- Speaking of Hugh Jackman, he just seems like a great guy to hang with and have a beer. He got that special award from his wife and just comes across so damn likeable. I wanna be pals with Wolverine!
- I wonder if people who are seeing Harvey Fierstein for the first time thought he was putting on his voice for comic affect.
- Very touching speech by Steve Kazee who one Best Actor for the musical Once.
- Matt Stone and Trey Parker of Book of Mormon fame (and, of course, South Park) announced the Best Musical with hilarity. 2 other guys I want to be my best pals.
- NPH's genius closing song. Again. That man is just awesome. Met him last year at my bar and yes...just as lovely and nice in person as you'd imagine. I even made him laugh. Now I want HIM to be my best pal! I can't choose.
Overall, a pretty good show though I'll admit there wasn't much (musical-wise) that I wanted to check out. But I do need to get out there and watch more theater. Heck, maybe I'll even get back into it some day. The fans do miss me so.