Thursday started off way early. I was supposed to attend a "zombie breakfast" but just had too much to do beforehand to prep for interviews and panels. I started off the day moderating my good pal Becky Cloonan's panel. It went really well and had an amazing turnout! We kept it very conversational and had lots of fun. I recorded it so it'll go up as a podcast some time in the next couple of weeks.
Then, it was straight off to the Wired Cafe to register and meet some folks to discuss a cool comic project they were doing. The Collective Comic project with iStock was pretty neat. And the cafe was kicking! Free food/drinks and a DJ. Not the ideal spot to do interviews as they seem to advertise, but still a good getaway. Then the schedule went as follows:
- Morgan Spurlock press conference. The first of many that started late making my whole day a big run from place to place. I hung for about 10 minutes, got a question in and had to bolt. I did meet a lovely girl in line for it though. Bonus!
- I ran over to the Bayfront Hilton for a Stan Lee 1:1 opp. Of course, running late also. So late that we had to do a "walk and talk" type interview. Which was actually kind of fun. I had never met him in person and that man is such a showman. I know a lot of comic folks don't like him for various reasons but he is a bit of a legend. Quick but fun!
- I had to hoof it back to the convention center to the Nickelodeon booth to chat with Tara Strong. Yep. Late. It was really loud at the booth and my questions literally got deleted some how SECONDS before I was to chat with her. I'm good at winging it but I was thrown off a bit by it and the loudness and the publicist hovering over me. Just doing her job but I didn't perform as great as I'd have liked. Sorry,Tara! You still rocked it though!
- Press conferences for a few Disney flicks was next. Frankenweenie had director Tim Burton and others. I got a question in that Burton seemed to dance around which made me wonder. I asked him if he'd ever write and/or draw a comic based on any of his properties or something new. He joked, "What now? I'd need some time and privacy!" And then changed the subject. Weird. Which makes me think maybe he has something in the works.
- Then it was the Oz the Great and Powerful press conference with director Sam Raimi & cast of Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams. Those ladies are flawless. Didn't get a question in but it was fun. I skipped the Wreck-it-Ralph one though.
- I met Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt downstairs at the bar to chat about their web series Shelf Life and their voice over work. The nicest couple ever! Really had fun with them!
- Then I had to hoof it over to the annual podcaster's panel. I was about 10 minutes late. Great crowd and I had a lot of fun joking with the guys and the crowd who seemed quite receptive.
Back home to chill a bit and disco nap. Then out later for drinks/parties. The CBLDF party at the Westgate is always a great annual meetup of comic folks. I skipped out on another party I could have gotten in to and regret it a bit, but still had a blast. As always, ended up at the Hyatt for more. But called it early around 1:30. More in the morning!